We're working with our community organizations and businesses to provide updates on hours, closures, and other information relevant to the public as we navigate the COVID-19 situation. Many of our local businesses are working hard to maintain clean and safe environments for customers and clients through this time. We encourage you to continue to support local businesses as you are able. This page will be updated daily. If you've like to submit information on your business or organization, please email email@example.com with details.
The Iowa Department of Public Health is coordinating the COVID-19 vaccine distribution effort in Iowa. The vaccine supply in Iowa is very limited. As more vaccines become available from the CDC, more individuals and groups will be offered a vaccination. Click HERE to visit the state's vaccine dashboard.
As of February 5, 2021 Governor Reynolds signed a new Public Health Disaster Proclamation for ongoing public health measures effective Sunday, February 7, 2021. This proclamation will be valid for an additional 30 days, now expiring Sunday, March 7, 2021. Click HERE to read the proclamation.
For current COVID-19 information from the State of Iowa, click HERE.
Local Vaccine Information
Poweshiek County Public Health is managing COVID-19 reporting and vaccination. Visit their website HERE or their Facebook page HERE for more information and updates.
Poweshiek County is currently in Phase 1B of vaccine distributions. Vaccines are being distributed in limited amounts from the state. Please be patient as announcements are made for appointment slots. Please follow their Facebook page and local media outlets for updates. For more details, click HERE.
Click on the link below to jump to the topic.
Mask Up Grinnell is a local initiative encouraging the wearing of masks. To learn more about the program and current events, click HERE.
Grinnell-Newburg Community School is current in in-person session. To view the COVID Dashboard, click HERE. To learn more about the Return to Learn Plan, click HERE. Updates will be sent via email, posted on their website and Facebook page.
Drake Community Library COVID19 Community Resource Guide
UnityPoint Health - Grinnell Regional Medical Center
- Effective November 13, 2020 all visitors at GRMC's hospital and clinics will be suspended until further notice. Exceptions are being made for maternity service, end-of-life care, minors and patients with altered mental status. Click HERE to learn more.
- Click HERE for more information from Poweshiek County Public Health.
- Click HERE for more information and guidance on the COVID-19 Vaccine distribution.
- Click HERE to make a donation to the Compassion Fund to help aid our employees on the front lines of the COVID challenge.
- Click HERE to see a list of updates from the Poweshiek County Supervisors.
- Click HERE to see an update from the Poweshiek County Emergency Management Agency
City of Grinnell
In order to help prevent community spread of COVID-19 in Grinnell and support the efforts of the community to promote social distancing all city buildings have been closed to the public. This includes Grinnell City Hall.
- Contact Information:
- Administrative Staff - 641-236-2600 - Staff Directory
- Utility Accounts - 641-236-2600
- Building Permits - 641-236-2600 - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Recreation Department - 641-236-2620 - email@example.com
- Public Services - 641-236-2632 - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Police Department - 641-236-2670 - Staff Directory
- Housing Authority - 641-236-2600 - email@example.com
- Drake Community Library - 641-236-2661 - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Utility Payment Options:
- Drop Box - Across the street to the north of the city hall
- By Mail to 520 4th Avenue Grinnell IA 50112
- Online through your bank
- Credit Card or E-check through the City’s Online Payment Vendor (PSN) - There are fees associated with this payment option - call City Hall 641-236-2600 for more information.
- Sign up for Automatic Withdrawal from your checking or savings account - This option is not available for past due bills
- Completed forms can also be placed in our drop box or mailed to 520 4th Avenue.
Drake Community Library
Parks & Recreation Department
In order to help prevent community spread of COVID-19 in Grinnell and support the efforts of the community to promote social distancing the Grinnell Recreation Department will be doing the following:
- City of Grinnell playgrounds and the skate park are open.
- The Grinnell Athletic and Recreation Center is open but with COVID guidelines. Click HERE to learn more.
- Recreation Department office hours will still be held at the GARC Monday-Friday from 8AM - 5PM.
- If you need to register for a program or rent a facility in person to use the online registration website www.grinnellrec.activityreg.com. Any questions or concerns can be directed to the Recreation Department at 641-236-2620.
Please visit the CIty website for accurate information for the City of Grinnell - www.grinnelliowa.gov.
Poweshiek Sheriff's Office
- Effective 12:00PM November 17, 2020, until further notice due to the increase in COVID positivity rate throughout the state, and for the safety of our staff and inmates, Poweshiek County Sheriff’s Office will be closed to the public.
- Requesting that the public postpone all personal, non-essential visits to their office:
- Civil papers requiring service, please call their office to find out how to send your paperwork electronically
- Inmate visitation is canceled (only attorney professionals visits allowed), All inmates brought into the jail will be asked a series of questions to determine the risk of exposure to COVID19.
- All public fingerprinting is canceled
- All citizen ride a longs are cancelled
- All public facilities tours are canceled
- Modified patrol responses to lower level priority calls may be initiated meaning deputies may handle the call with the reporting party over the phone in lieu of face to face contact. As a result, it is imperative that reporting parties provide the dispatcher with a good call back number. Please call the Sheriff's Office - 641-623-5679 - before visiting to see if you can conduct your business electronically or over the phone.
Individuals seeking assistance as a result of the COVID19 pandemic may find assistance at any of the below organizations:
Grinnell Area Mental Health Consortium - JPK Fund
- Created in 2018, the purpose of this fund is to serve those in the Poweshiek County area with mental health needs who are financially otherwise unable to afford services or medications. Click HERE to learn more.
Grinnell Food Coalition
- Grinnell Food Coalition is distributing grocery vouchers to help residents during this period. More information about this program, how to sign up and other resources can be found HERE. Individuals and families can request grocery vouchers through the form on the website or they may email me at email@example.com or call the office at 641-236-5518, ext. 109.
ISU Extension & Outreach
- Until further notice, MICA Family Development Center in Grinnell is open by appointment only. They will still be providing services (energy assistance, referrals, and crisis assistance) by phone. To schedule an appointment or drop off donations, please call 641-236-3923.
Mental Health Help
- Warm Line 844-775-WARM (9276) 2PM - 10PM daily: Warm Line is a peer-run, telephone based, non-crisis, confidential listening line for anyone struggling with mental health or substance use issues. The Line is staffed by people who have been through a similar journey and are in recovery themselves.
Online AA Meetings
Poweshiek Housing Assistance Fund
- The Poweshiek Housing Assistance Fund was formed in over growing concerns of homelessness in Poweshiek County. This program can help Grinnellians with assistance in rental deposits or back rent, utilities, and more. Click HERE to learn more.
Click HERE to see a list of restaurants offering dine in, carry out or delivery.
Click HERE to see a list of retailers offering online shopping, delivery and more.
Other Business Updates:
- Open normal business hours of 8AM - 9PM with 8AM - 9AM: Open to those 65 and over, expecting mothers, those with a serious chronic medical condition, and those with an underlying medical condition that increases susceptibility to serious illness.
- 9AM - 7PM: Open to the general public. We ask that all customers please respect the time reserved for those that are at higher risk. Masks Required
- Will be open 6am - 7am for senior shoppers. Will still serve hot deli options for pick up/carry out and cold case options of sandwiches, salads, and entrees for carry out.
- Closed to walk in traffic but taking appointments. Call 641-269-3424 to schedule an appointment.
- Open for shopping Monday - Friday 9AM - 3PM (last customers admitted at 2:30PM). Open Thursdays 9AM - 5PM (last customer admitted at 4:30PM). Masks Required. Accepting donations by appointment only. Call 641-236-7893 to schedule a drop off appointment.
- are suspended for the forseeable future
Claude W. & Dolly Ahrens Foundation/Ahrens Park Foundation
- In order to help limit the spread of COVID-19 and support community efforts to promote social distancing and self-isolation, the administrative offices of the Claude W. and Dolly Ahrens Foundation and Greater Poweshiek Community Foundation have closed to the public through April 10th (same period as the Grinnell school district closure). All scheduled meetings located at our offices during this time have been cancelled. Our staff will continue to work but will be working remotely from home through April 10th. We are committed to our foundations’ ongoing operations and supporting our partner organizations’ programming and administrative needs.
Grinnell College Museum of Art & Bucksbaum Center for the Arts
- Currently closed to the public.
Great Western Bank
- At this time, branch lobbies are available by appointment only. We encourage you to use drive-thrus, which will be open during normal business hours, online and mobile banking and our ATM network. You can schedule an appointment by calling your local banker. Read more.
Grinnell State Bank
- As a precautionary measure, as of Wednesday, October 7, 2020, lobby access will be by appointment only. With a recent increase in COVID-19 cases within our communities, we believe it is important to take steps to protect our customers and employees and maintain a healthy environment. Our drive-up windows will remain open regular hours. Please contact your local branch if you need to schedule an appointment.
Lincoln Savings Bank
- Effective November 20, 2020, all LSB branch lobbies are closed. To make a transaction, please visit our drive-thru during regular hours. If you are needing to enter a branch lobby, please call us at 641-236-3121 641-236-3121 to schedule an appointment.
- is restricting visitations of all visitors and non-essential health care personnel. They are also canceling or limited all events including: forum, walking group, Tuesday Chapel, Kiwanis Club, A Matter of Balance, Bucket Course, Senior Strength, Men's Coffee group, Spring Tea, Lyceum, Coffee & Conversation, Sunday Morning Chapel (restricted to residents only), St. Patrick's Day Dinner, Club 90 Celebration, and Carman Center Memorial Services. They are also limiting visitors to the Health Center and to Beebe Assisted Living building. Visitors must be cleared by contacting Jacki Hicklin at 641-236-6151 x233. Non-hosted visitors to the rest of the campus must be screened at the Pearson building at 616 Broad Street.
- Peoplerides offices remain closed to the general public. If you have transit or planning needs, please call or email our staff and we will be happy to assist you! If you have something to drop off, visitors can knock at the back/employee entrance of the building and someone will help you. Employees are in our building Monday-Friday from 7:30 AM to 4:30 PM. Call 641-752-6202 or toll free 1-888-616-4298.
St. Francis Manor, Seeland Park, & Hammond Center
- Will no longer be allowing non-essential visitors on site. They will push out a notification when restrictions are lifted. Video chat and Facebook Portal are options to visit with loved ones. Please call 236-8700 for more information.