Community Events & Marketing Summer Internship
The Grinnell Area Chamber of Commerce/Convention & Visitors Bureau is seeking a reliable, enthusiastic self-starter who is highly motivated to assist with event planning, execution and marketing for community events such as Grinnell Games, Grinnell Farmers Market, Friday Night Live, Grinnell on the Fourth, and shopping promotions. The selected candidate will learn how to market and manage community events and festivals. This person will also work with business owners to plan joint promotions and increase awareness, have the opportunity to contribute to the community’s destination marketing and tourism efforts, and gain an understanding of how a non-profit membership organization operates.
- Assist with planning and logistics for all summer events
- Assist with execution of all events, including set up and tear down
- Support staff with coordination and implementation of event marketing campaigns
- Provide marketing assistance for events including writing press releases and blog posts, managing social media, photographing events, designing posters and other materials, etc.
- Assist with destination marketing and tourism promotions
- Assist with general marketing for the organization and its membership
- Work with the organization’s members in planning and organizing events and promotions
- Additional tasks as assigned by the supervisor
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Digital marketing experience
- Exceptional interpersonal/customer service personality
- Critical thinking, creativity and problem solving skills
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Basic skills in photography and video production
- Ability to work in Adobe Creative Suite including InDesign and Illustrator
- Currently enrolled in, or graduated from, a college or university majoring in public relations, marketing, event planning or related field
- Possession of a valid driver’s license
- Capable of lifting 50 pounds on a regular basis
- Ability to work in a variety of weather and temperature conditions
Dates: Mid-May (sooner if possible) through Mid-August – 11 to 13 total weeks. Must be available for events June 7, June 15-16, July 4-5, July 28 and August 2.
Hours: Average of 35-40 hours/week. Schedule will be coordinated with supervisor upon start date.
To Apply: Please send cover letter and resume by April 1, 2019 to Rachael Kinnick at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed upon receipt.