Overview: Obtains necessary demographic, diagnostic, and insurance information to register patients receiving services at UPH-GRMC.
- Responsible for pre-registering patients for scheduled admissions and outpatient procedures.
- Responsible for interviewing patients or their representative, where admission is unscheduled, for obtaining accurate personal information or verifying information already on file, including emergency numbers and insurance information.
- Responsible for obtaining signatures on Conditions of Admission, Medicare Information Forms, and HIPPA Privacy forms.
- Proficient in use of the order entry system and related procedures.
- Responsible for validating tests and procedures for all Medicare patients, having patient sign ABN when applicable.
- Performs eligibility checks.
- Answers the telephone in a polite manner and communicates information to the appropriate personnel.
- Maintains a neat and orderly work area. Data entry accurate 98% of the time.
- Demonstrates an ability to be flexible, organized and function well in stressful situations.
- Interacts professionally with patient/family and provides explanations and verbal reassurance as necessary.
- Provides information to the patient/representative about billing, complaint process, and patient rights.
- Distributes hospital specific literature.
- Consults other departments as appropriate to provide for an interdisciplinary approach to the patient’s needs.
- Responsible for knowing hospital policies and being familiar with hospital services that are available.
- Refers patient to Business Office when financial arrangements need to be made.
- Provides for safe mobility of patients.
ER Specific Responsibilities:
- Admits ER patients, being attentive to their needs.
- Enters orders into the system.
- Checks insurance eligibility.
- Validates Medicare claims.
- Keeps up the ER/ Outpatient Registry.