A member of an interdisciplinary surgical sterile processing team responsible for the efficient and timely management of surgical instruments, supplies and equipment resources. Instrument care includes staffing the decontamination equipment, cleaning, prep/pack instruments, sterilization, delivery, and storage. Supply management includes requisitioning, receiving, storage, and building surgical case carts.
- Performs cleaning, disinfecting, and decontamination duties on surgery medical instruments and equipment.
- Sterilizes instruments, equipment and supplies. Performs quality indicators including but not limited to biologicals, process challenge devices, chemical indicators, and process monitoring.
- Maintains sterilization records for all processes.
- Assembles surgical instruments, surgical instrument trays, and surgical packs including documentation.
- Receives, issues, stores, and distributes surgrical supplies with accurate documentation.
- Assures proper storage of sterile supplies and equipment using first in first out rotation and periodic outdating.
- Assembles surgical case carts accurately and in a timely manner giving priority to emergency and next day cases.
- Fills surgery supply and instrument order requests as received from other surgery areas.
- Demonstrates knowledge that patient and workplace safety is a priority by preventing errors, accidents and infections, and reporting potential or actual concerns immediately.
- Maintains surgery inventory supply levels.
- Properly sterilizes surgical instruments and equipment according to manufacturer’s instructions for use.
- Delivers high quality care demonstrating knowledge and skills of the sterile processing specialty in accordance with established guidelines, policies, procedures and standards of care.