Grinnell College is a top ranked liberal arts institution that values diversity, equity, inclusion, social justice, intellectual freedom, and social responsibility. We seek candidates that align with our values and have the ability and desire to advance diversity, equity, social justice, and belonging within our community and the communities we engage. Ideal candidates will be prepared to collaborate and contribute to the mission and values of the college across all constituencies.
The Controller is responsible for the College’s financial reporting, general accounting, procurement, payroll and accounts payable functions. The ideal candidate will be technically versed in applicable GAAP, non-profit accounting and reporting, internal controls, and relevant tax reporting.
The ideal candidate shall possess excellent leadership and communication skills, the ability to interact positively with faculty, staff, administration, student, vendors and regulators. In addition to the daily management of accounting and financial reporting, this position collaborates with various campus constituencies related to the fiduciary responsibility of the Finance Office and other collaborative projects or initiatives. Candidates must be able to work as a team member, be self-directed and be willing to serve as an ambassador for Grinnell College.
Key Responsibilities Include:
▪ Create and oversee a culture of service for all constituents of the College that supports the mission and vision of the institution.
▪ Manage the day-to-day accounting function and audit processes including management of procurement, accounts payable, payroll, various types of tax reporting, financial reporting, and other general accounting functions.
▪ Lead and supervise accounting team members and foster a culture of teamwork.
§ Provide support to the Vice-President and Associate Vice-President of Finance on various projects.
Bachelor’s degree required
- 7+ years’ experience in the accounting field
- Supervisory experience
- Higher education experience and CPA designation preferred
- Maintain a high standard of confidentiality, accuracy, and integrity
- Excellent problem solving and organizational skills with the ability to work on multiple projects
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Must be able to interact professionally and positively with all constituencies at the college
- Advanced proficiency and accuracy in Microsoft Office Suite
- Strong attention to detail with the demonstrated ability to deliver quality service and meet established deadlines
- Ability to create, compose, and edit written materials
- Champions Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Effectively lead, prioritize and supervise the work of # FTEs
Certified Public Accountant