The Assistant Vice President of Auxiliary Services serves as a critical role in the delivery and support of essential services to the College’s students, faculty, and staff with the leadership of Dining Services, Conference Operations, Mail Services, Golf Course and Bookstore. The ideal candidate for this opportunity will have a strong business operation acumen and a passion for results and goal driven outcomes. This role will require the incumbent to have a keen understanding of the key performing indicators within the operations of their portfolio. The Grinnell College is a people centric community that values a wide diversity of people and perspectives. A successful candidate would effectively build relationships to understand and address the needs of the community.
- Provides leadership and oversight to all facets of Dining Services including residential dining, retail operations, concessions, vending, on and off-campus catering, and contracted services, and the other Auxiliaries.
- Manages the financials of the Auxiliaries to meet or exceed expected returns to the College, while balancing the needs of identified stakeholders including students, campus customers, off-campus customers, etc. This requires developing, recommending, and implementing budgets for each department: having a strong understanding of finances for each department; monitoring the financial performance of each department, and implementing appropriate performance benchmarks.
- Ensures all operations are carried on in an appropriate, cost-effective way
- Improves operational management systems, processes and best practices
- Helps the organization’s processes remain legally compliant
- Identifies the department’s strategic initiatives to support the mission and strategic plan of the College. Regularly benchmark effectiveness and efficiencies to ensure all operations are identified as places of excellence. Understands changes in the marketplace and current trends that impact operations.
- Builds a cohesive team by providing direct administrative supervision of leadership, support staff, and student employees.
o Directs and oversees staff talent, which includes hiring, training, empowering, coaching,
o Measures and rewards staff performance by conducting regular evaluations.
o Supports employee engagement by fostering an environment of integrity and respect, professional growth, excellence, accountability, adaptability, and empowerment.
- Develops, implements, interprets, and upholds departmental and college policies.
- Supports Grinnell’s commitment to sustainability through operational decisions.
- Builds and sustains partnerships and alliances within and across Grinnell College and the City of Grinnell.