The patient safety companion provides patient monitoring services through direct patient observation in order to provide a safe environment for patients.
Why UnityPoint Health?
- Commitment to our Team – We’ve been named a Top 150 Place to Work in Healthcare 2022 by Becker’s Healthcare for our commitment to our team members.
- Culture – At UnityPoint Health, you Come for a fulfilling career and experience a culture guided by uncompromising values and unwavering belief in doing what's right for the people we serve.
- Benefits – Our competitive Total Rewards program offers benefits options that align with your needs and priorities, no matter what life stage you’re in.
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Commitment – We’re committed to ensuring you have a voice that is heard regardless of role, race, gender, religion, or sexual orientation.
- Development – We believe equipping you with support and development opportunities is an essential part of delivering a remarkable employment experience.
- Community Involvement – Be an essential part of our core purpose—to improve the health of the people and communities we serve.
Visit us at UnityPoint.org/careers to hear more from our team members about why UnityPoint Health is a great place to work.
- Provides 1:1 direct observation (sitter in patient’s room) to assigned patientto prevent patient self- injury. Maintains visual observation at all times.
- Participates in collaborative identification of and reporting of patient safety issues
- Removes any potential safety hazard from patient room and reports findings to nursing staff
- Promotes diversionary activities as necessary and appropriate
- Maintains patient privacy and confidentiality
- Demonstrates understanding and proficient use of patient monitoring software while functioning as remote monitoring technician
- Documents proof of observation of suicide precautions and other safety protocols
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skill necessary to provide the appropriate care to a patient population based on the patients individualized treatment plan as delegated by the RN.
- Seeks help or advice as soon as possible when patient appears to pose a threat to themselves or others.
- Participates in hand-off of pertinent information/behavior about assigned patients when arriving on unit/work area and upon completion of shift assignment.
- Coordinates meal andbreak times with teamand informs appropriate teammembersprior to leaving monitoring station for any reasonto ensure constant patient observation.
- Participates in a collaborative identification and reporting of patient safety issues.
- Demonstrates safe work practices and attitudes, follows safety rules, works to prevent unsafe conditions and behaviors, and participates in organizational and department safety programs.
- Demonstrates initiative to improve quality and customer service.
- Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health FOCUS Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
- Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
- Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
- Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
- Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
- Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff.Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.