The Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT) provides accurate and timely clinical diagnostic information to healthcare professionals in order to ensure high quality patient care and customer service.
Why UnityPoint Health?
Visit us at UnityPoint.org/careers to hear more from our team members about why UnityPoint Health is a great place to work.
• Prioritizes, performs, judges, and reports routine and esoteric procedures within established time guidelines.
• Maintains equipment, inventory, and work area according to standards, and documents appropriately.
• Documents, maintains, and reviews quality control (QC), proficiency testing, quality assurance, and other records to meet regulatory requirements.
• Performs, evaluates, and documents advanced troubleshooting and problem-solving activities, instrument validations, and interprets data for appropriate health professionals.
• Verifies identity of patient.
• Collects and prepares specimens for analysis or other medical purposes utilizing appropriate equipment.
• Accurately labels specimens.
• Distributes specimens for processing.
• Able to collect blood cultures using proper sterile technique.
• Able to collect newborn specimens, including newborn screens, using proper technique.
• Able to perform phlebotomy on patients of all ages.
• Able to perform therapeutic phlebotomies on patients.
• Urine Drug Screen Collections
• Breath Alcohol Collections
• Paternity Testing Collections
• Issues appropriate specimen collection containers to patients as needed.
• Performs computer operations and order entry duties using electronic medical record (EMR) and laboratory information system (LIS), ensuring accuracy and completeness.
• Faxing reports as appropriate
• Follows proper telephone etiquette. Answers the telephone, takes messages and directs inquires to the appropriate individual.
• Receives specimens into LIS
• Performs registration functions as required
• Scheduling drug screens, breath alcohol tests and paternity tests in scheduling system.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• This position may be assigned a specific mission to address in an emergency situation to assist in disaster response and recovery as part of the UnityPoint Health – Des Moines Hospital Emergency Incident Command System (HEICS). Situations of a critical nature may require an individual to perform multiple tasks until additional support can be obtained.