Investigates claims, negotiates settlements, and authorizes payments to customers for casualty and property losses covered by a Grinnell Mutual policy to reach a fair and equitable settlement. Acts as company representative during the claims process providing service primarily via telephone and e-mail.
This position is for Commercial Property claims and can work from any of the approved states.
Provides the highest level of service to all customers who include policy holders, claimants, agents, loss control, underwriting, peers, and in-house telephone claims representatives.
- Investigates the facts of assigned property and casualty claims to determine coverages, damages, and negligence in a timely and efficient manner as outlined in Grinnell Mutual claims procedures.
- Gathers supporting data such as appraisals, interviews, police reports, medical bills, and statements related to the claim, utilizing telephone and written correspondence. In consultation with manager, enlists the assistance of a field adjuster for additional on-the-scene information related to claim when required for the claim, e.g. photos, measurements, etc.
- Evaluates potential financial risk to the company and sets reserves based on current exposure. Updates reserves based on additional data or facts gathered.
- Settles claims in a fair and equitable manner based on policy coverages and the information gathered during the investigation, without exceeding individual authority. Consults with manager proactively if settlement has potential to exceed authority limit. Provides recommendations and requests additional authority as appropriate.
- Ensures that checks/drafts are issued and that liability releases are obtained in a timely manner to assist with efficiently closing claims.
- Maintains a complete and well documented file in order to support the decisions and settlement of the claim.
- Operates in accordance with applicable federal and individual state’s fair claim practices and regulations. Stays current with changing legislation, shares knowledge with co-workers and managers, and applies information as appropriate.
- Performs other duties as assigned.