Under the supervision of a licensed perioperative RN, provides patient care in the operative setting. Provides technical services and support for patients undergoing surgical procedures including scrubbing and circulating roles. Successful performance contributes to a holistic approach to the delivery of services, improved patient care, and a high level of satisfaction from patients and families.
$7500 FULL TIME SIGN ON BONUS for New Hires
Why UnityPoint Health?
Visit us at UnityPoint.org/careers to hear more from our team members about why UnityPoint Health is a great place to work.
• Utilizes critical thinking in performance of job duties and maintains proficiency relating to surgical technology.
• Scrubs independently on complicated surgical procedures in all specialties.
• Coordinates activities with registered nurses and other coworkers in planning and implementing care within hospital policies and legal limitations.
• Prepares the operating room for the arrival of surgical patients, assembles equipment, supplies, and instruments for surgical procedures according to preference cards and type of procedure.
• Assists the perioperative nurse with the provision of nursing care in assigned area following current GRMC policies and procedures and regulatory or accrediting standards. .
• Responsible for maintaining the integrity, safety and efficiency of the sterile field. Uses aseptic technique to arrange instruments and supplies. Performs instrument, sponge, and sharp counts.
• Demonstrates correct technique in handling of instruments, sutures, specimens, and medications.
• Learns & maintains knowledge of robotic system, instrumentation, & disposable products.
• Uses teamwork approach in achieving efficient set up, procedure & turn over times.
• Consistently delivers high quality care demonstrating surgical technology knowledge and skills in the operating room in accordance with established policies and procedures and standards of care.
• Demonstrates initiative to improve quality and patient experience by striving to exceed customer expectations
• Balances team and individual responsibilities; is open and objective to other’s views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to positive team goals; and puts the success of the team above own interests.
• Demonstrates the knowledge that patient and workplace safety is a priority by preventing errors, accidents and infections and reporting potential or actual concerns immediately.
• Assists in maintaining a clean, orderly and safe environment.
• Utilizes a holistic approach (considering physical, psych/social, spiritual, educational, safety, and related criteria) appropriate to the age of the patients served in the assigned service area.
• Demonstrates initiative to improve quality and customer service.
• Balances team and individual responsibilities, objective and open to other’s views, gives and welcomes feedback, contributes to positive team goals, puts success of team above own interest.
• Performs on call duties for emergency surgeries after hours and on weekends on a rotating basis. Responds according to policy.
• Performs routine cleaning on equipment.
• Assists in department cleaning and storing/restocking of supplies and linen.
• Assists in OR room turnover, including opening sterile supplies and instruments.
• Performs tasks as delegated by OR team members.
• Assists with maintenance and sterilization of instruments and equipment as per manufacturer’s instructions for use.
• High school graduate or GED equivalent.
• Graduate of approved surgical technology course, eligible for certification.
• Previous scrubbing experience preferred.
• Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
• Must possess and maintain current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification or obtain certification within three (3) months from date of hire.
• Certified Surgical Technologist preferred.