This position will be responsible for the safe and efficient operations, installation, inspection, preventive maintenance, routine maintenance and repairs of, but not limited to, mechanical and electrical equipment, i.e., steam boilers, all HVAC systems, all refrigeration systems, emergency generators, utility distribution systems, all chilled water equipment, building automation systems, pneumatic tube system, buildings, plumbing, sanitary, medical gasses, sprinkler systems, fire alarm systems, and audiovisual equipment (televisions, DVD’s, etc.). Completion of this work will contribute positively to the safety, health and comfort of the patients, visitors and employees of UnityPoint Health – Grinnell Regional Medical Center.
Why UnityPoint Health?
Visit us at UnityPoint.org/careers to hear more from our team members about why UnityPoint Health is a great place to work. https://dayinthelife.unitypoint.org/
• Balances team and individual responsibilities. Objective and open to other’s views. Gives and welcomes feedback. Contributes to positive team goals. Puts success of team above own interest.
• Demonstrates initiative to improve quality of customer service by striving to exceed customer expectations.
• Observes UPH performance standards.
• Performs repairs and preventive maintenance on mechanical and electrical equipment, i.e., steam boilers, all HVAC systems, all refrigeration systems, emergency generators, utility distribution systems, all chilled water equipment, hot water heating systems, building automation systems, pneumatic tube system, buildings, plumbing, sanitary, medical gasses, sprinkler systems, fire alarm systems, and audiovisual equipment (televisions, DVD’s, etc.), medical equipment such as patient beds, wheeled stretchers, wheelchairs, exercise equipment.
• Performs minor repairs on buildings, cabinet hardware, plumbing, electrical and mechanical items.
• Has knowledge of building sprinkler and fire alarm systems.
• Installs new electrical and mechanical equipment as necessary.
• Displays considerable initiative and judgment involved in determining extent of repairs as may be required on all equipment and buildings selecting appropriate materials, and utilizing the most effective methods, techniques and procedures when required to complete job assignments.
• Cooperates with Facilities Manager and other employees to maintain equipment, parts and supplies. Makes recommendations to Facilities Manager regarding desired changes in operation and maintenance procedures.
• Keeps informed through periodicals, books, training seminars, on-the-job training and other sources and participates in approved training programs to further job knowledge.
• Records time of day, date, hours and/or minutes and materials expended on jobs and maintains files of pertinent records on machinery and equipment through the TMA equipment/work order database.
• Observes and practices accepted procedures in the care and use of equipment and tools. Observes safety regulations and practices.
• Communicates with Facilities Manager and co-workers to achieve understanding in a positive manner.
• May be called during off-duty hours.
• May be required to work any day of the week including weekends and holidays.
• Performs duties other than described due to extenuating circumstances.
• Must be self-directed and assume responsibility for timely completion of job responsibilities.
• Must be able to follow verbal and written instructions
• Will be required to take on-call weekends and evenings
Other Functions-performed as needed
• This position may be assigned a specific mission to address in an emergency situation to assist in disaster response and recovery as part of the UPH Emergency Incident Command System. Situations of a critical nature may require an individual to perform multiple tasks until additional support can be obtained.
• High school graduate or equivalent
• Completion of a trade school course or trade apprenticeship program preferred
• Minimum of five (5) years’ experience in industrial or commercial operations.
• Must be familiar with plant operating techniques as applied to systems and equipment.
• Hospital experience is preferred
• Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
• Boiler operator’s license at time of employment or must be obtained within the first year of employment.