Software Engineers are responsible for engineering software and/or complex integrations of existing software using current technologies to support the business objectives of Grinnell Mutual Reinsurance Company and their customers. Serves as a member of a cross functional Agile Software Development Team, completing any/all tasks to ensure team success.
This position qualifies for our flexible workplace options. Work at our Grinnell, Iowa, headquarters or from a home office in any of the following states: Alabama, Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee Texas, Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming. Please note that candidates must be eligible to work in the U.S. without Grinnell Mutual sponsorship.
- Develops and supports new and existing data solutions utilizing software such as SAP Data Services and/or Cognos, code reviews and modularity for hosting on-premises and in the cloud.
- Supports existing software, including keeping versions current by implementing new business needs and technology updates.
- Demonstrates proficiency in software development tools, programming languages and software development techniques that adhere to the best practices specific to Grinnell Mutual.
- Maintains and promotes a security driven mindset, ensuring software meets the criteria of the Grinnell Mutual Security Team. This includes adherence to OWASP and applicable regulations.
- Remains current with changes in technology and evaluates the feasibility of incorporating development techniques into new and supported applications.
- Communicates and updates teams and stakeholders to ensure transparency and alignment with project priorities. Occasionally works with outside vendors or contractors to create solutions and timelines for assigned projects and software issues.
- Collaborates with third party vendors and Grinnell Mutual technology professionals, including Architecture, Infrastructure and Operations, to ensure technologies used are relevant to the current and future state of software engineering. Takes ownership of team delivery to ensure highest probability of success for team.
- Leverages automation and DevOps techniques to reduce overall technical maintenance, monitor system performance, improve system quality and reduce manual business process of Grinnell Mutual.
- Provides support as needed when software outage incidents occur, restoring service in the quickest and most stable manner possible. Knowledge of ITIL methodology is preferred.
- Contributes to product planning using Agile methodologies. Ensures stories are complete, accurate and ready to be developed before the team commits to them.
- Adheres to work intake, prioritization, change management, architecture governance and other required best practices of Grinnell Mutual.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors’ degree from an accredited college/university in programming related field with significant course work and/or experience in design, development and analysis of technology solutions.
- Proficient with Structured Query Language (SQL): Oracle and/or PostgreSQL.
- Skilled at understanding inter-dependencies and relationships of complex technical data sets with ability to be a creative problem-solver with strong analytical skills.
- Attain and keep current necessary certifications for position.
- Contributes to the growth of technology at Grinnell Mutual by sharing expertise with others. Educates others, adding to the total technical capabilities of Grinnell Mutual.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively plan, schedule and meet deadlines while concurrently managing multiple tasks. Must be able to work with multiple interruptions.
- Working knowledge of Property and Casualty Insurance preferred. Willingness to develop a working knowledge of industry and Grinnell Mutual specific business practices. Must be able to appropriately apply learned knowledge as it relates to responsibilities of the position.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as, probability and statistical inference and applying concepts such as, fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations as required for programming to simplify work of end user.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract/concrete variables.
- Recognizes processing/application inefficiencies and recommends improvements.
- Demonstrated enthusiasm and commitment towards assignment and problem solving.
- Demonstrated oral, written, and presentation skills to both technical and non-technical personnel. Exhibits self-assurance and a creative aptitude.
- Ability to understand basic insurance terminology applicable to personal lines and commercial lines of insurance.
- Occasional overnight travel for training or conferences.
- Requires regular and predictable attendance to meet the customer needs of the position.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality and propriety information.
- Demonstrated ability to adhere to all Grinnell Mutual policies.
- Demonstrated ability to incorporate Grinnell Mutual core values in all areas work.
Working conditions and physical efforts
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each job duty and responsibility satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform job duties and responsibilities.
- The position is physically located in an agreed upon location per the Grinnell Mutual Work from Anywhere policy. All work arrangements must put the business needs of the organization first and ensure the coverage of all job duties.
- The position requires an individual to sit for long periods of time, use repetitive motion, and possess visual acuity demanded by work with computer and other LCD screen devices.
- The work may be fast paced, especially when managing multiple projects or when faced with tight deadlines. Meeting schedule could be heavy. May be required to work outside of normal business hours at times to accomplish work.
This job description is not intended to describe, in detail, the multitude of tasks that may be assigned, but rather to give the employee a general sense of the responsibilities and expectations of his/her position. As the nature of the business demands change, so too may the job duties and responsibilities.