There's a lot to squeeze in during your summer vacation, and Grinnell offers a variety of kid friendly activities. Take advantage of the sunny days and warm nights by checking out these ideas of things to do with the family before school is back in session.
1. Go for a swim at the Grinnell Mutual Family Aquatic Center. With two thrilling water slides, zero-depth entry pool, diving boards, and a lazy river, it is sure to not disappoint.
2. Enjoy free live music at Music in the Park on Thursdays.
3. Treat yourself to an ice cream cone from Dari Barn or McNally's.
4. Go for a ride on the bike trail or explore the Iowa countryside with a gravel bike ride!
5. Challenge friends to a game of disc golf at Lake Nyanza. The 18-hole disc golf course wraps itself around shores of Lake Nyanza and the picturesque oaks, cedars, and maples of Miller Park. There are no green fees: admission is free. Because of the lake, make sure you bring a “floater” disc. Discs are available for purchase at Bikes To You.
6. Take in the scenery at Rock Creek State Park and Krumm Nature Preserve.
7. Stock up on fresh, locally grown produce and baked goods from the Grinnell Farmers Market. The market runs every Thursday from 3-6pm and Saturday 10 am-12 pm on 4th Avenue by Central Park. Market season will kick off on May 9th this year!
8. Get in a round of golf at Grinnell College Golf Course or Oakland Acres Golf Club.
9. Take the kids to a story hour at Drake Community Library.
10. Get into art. Grinnell College Museum of Art offers free hands-on art activities for kids and families in area parks during the summer months. Enjoy ceramics, painting, drawing, printmaking, marbling, paper mache, collage, truck glittering, sculpture and more. Check their event schedule for upcoming activities.
11. Enjoy an event from the Grinnell Area Arts Council or take a class on sewing, ceramics, or pattern dyeing. Check out the class schedule and registration page for more information.