Grinnell Arts Center, 926 Broad Street, Grinnell, IA 50112
Saturday, February 4, 2023 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM
||Arts & Culture
Workshops & Classes
Instructor: Dena Peterson
Saturdays 1:00 - 4:00 PM, February 4, 11, 18 2023
Grinnell Arts Center basement (926 Broad St)
Ages: 16+ (25% high school and college student discount; enter code STUDENT25)
Click HERE to sign up.
If you have ever been interested in learning about painting with oils, this class is for you. We will explore the basics of oil painting for the beginner in a fun and no-pressure environment. I will help you to get familiar with the materials and their safe use and handling, teach you the main types of brushwork in oil painting, discuss and demonstrate the importance of value shapes in painting, and introduce you to simple color mixing. We will end the classes with painting a still life. The key to painting is to simplify what we see, not make it more complicated! I’ll break down the steps to help you feel less intimidated and be on your way to understanding how to paint any subject matter in oils. Come with an open mind and a willingness to try something new!
Fee includes base materials for the class. Students also need to bring:
- Jar with tight-fitting lid for mineral spirits (not plastic)
- Small metal cup to hold oil painting medium
- Sketch Book and soft lead pencil (I prefer the kind with spiral binding so it can be laid flat)
- Natural bristle brushes for oil painting, sizes 4, 6, 8, 10 (or whatever you already have). Be sure to have a range of sizes; not just small!
- Palette (disposable is okay), not plastic, at least 12x16 in size. Can use a piece of gessoed Masonite. Also, a piece of freezer paper taped onto a board will work. Must NOT be absorbent.
- Brush Soap (I like “The Masters”…it comes in a round container)
- Off-set style Palette Knife for mixing or applying paint
- Optional: Gloves or barrier cream such as Winsor-Newton, Invisible Gloves
The Grinnell College Bookstore and Walmart have many of these supplies. We recommend DickBlick.com for supplies that are hard to find locally.
About the instructor:
Dena was honored to be selected as one of 120 international artists out of 5000 applicants for the academy-award nominated film, “Loving Vincent," truly a labor of love and tribute to the life and struggles of Van Gogh as told through his paintings. An award-winning artist, Dena’s paintings have been exhibited in regional, national, and international shows, and she is a signature member of The American Impressionist Society. She has over 30 years of experience in painting and teaching and teaches workshops at various national and international locations. Please visit her website for more information about her extensive background and to view her work!
For current Arts Council Covid-19 information, click here: https://www.grinnellarts.org/covid19-info . General questions? Call 236-3203 or email email@example.com.
Cancellation policy: Registrants may cancel their enrollment 48 hours (2 days) before a class begins for a refund or credit. After this deadline, no refund or credit is available. GAAC/The Stew reserves the right to cancel classes due to a minimum enrollment not being met.